Sunday, December 11, 2011

Run-Walker

I bookmarked this article from the New York Times some time ago and wanted to share it with you all:



So, I think I've mentioned in a couple posts now (here and here) that in training for the Macau Half Marathon I used a run-walk-run strategy. What interested me most about applying this method to long distance running was a) minimizing risk of injury and b) surprisingly increased pace. This was not just a method for newbies, oldies and out-of-shapes... it could be of use to veterans. Real runners. Runners who have thirty races already to their name. People who think a five mile run is like taking a Sunday nap. I am NOT one of these "real" runners. I think a Sunday nap is like taking a Sunday nap. I think running a five miler makes me a conquering hero. Still, when you only have to run 3 minutes at a time, the game changes. Thoughts like "I'm going to die, I'm going to die, I'm going to die" start to sound more like "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can". It's incredible. So to all you runners, non-runners, thinking-about-being-runners out there, I say give this method a try.  I thought it would take a lot of work to convince my husband that this was a method worth investigating but actually, when it came down to it, I simply stuck to my guns, got over my ego and let the walking do the talking. Results friends. My pace improved by about a minute and a half per mile (bear in mind I also increased my miles from 2 to 13) and I have a committed training partner all lined up for the next race. Plus, I completed the race completely injury free. I was nervous about getting in the way of other runners and I was worried that by adding in walks my run wouldn't be "legitimate". I thought maybe I should stick a sign on my back, you know, like you sometimes see on the back of buses "Beware, makes stops unexpectedly" or maybe just "run-walker" but in the end I decided I didn't need to worry so much about what I looked like or seemed like to anyone else and of course, it turned out that nobody cared at all! My worries were all self made and 13.1 miles is 13.1 miles, run, walk or crawl, it counts! 


2 comments:

  1. Think I just woke up the whole house. This was hilarious, but also extremely informative. Time to hit the article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I just discovered the "Lean and Greens" tab. Keep the meal ideas coming!!! That's so awesome. I'm so excited to get home and get cracking. It all looks so amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete