Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A New Favorite

There have been a few requests that I post some healthy recipes up on this blog and I've always held back because really, I don't make anything original. Everything I make comes from I recipe I spotted somewhere (although I almost never stick directly with the recipe... I tend to measure in... well, handfuls and pinches and sprinkles and a-bit-ofs...). Oh, that's another reason why I've found it difficult to write a recipe post, I don't measure things! It's not very useful for someone trying to recreate a dish.

However, I just made a soup that I am in love with. It's from one of my favorite food websites "SkinnyTaste" and is super healthy. For anyone who knows me, I love soup but I do not love carrots. Well, this is a "Carrot Ginger Soup" and it is YUM.

I recommend you check out the actual recipe and see the lovely pictures that accompany it, however, I made a couple changes for my own purposes and basically did this:

*saute onions in a pot with a little olive oil
*add some chopped ginger
*throw in some chopped carrots
*add boiling water and chicken bouillon
*boil till the carrots are soft
*puree with immersion blender
*add in a dollop of plain low fat yogurt
*mix, salt and pepper to taste, serve with some fresh herbs of choice

SO EASY!!!

Here are a few pictures from my attempt:

Such a beautiful orange color! This is after I already pureed it with my immersion blender.



I topped mine off with a dollop of yogurt and some dill because that's what I had on hand.


Hayley's Herb Garden. I've been getting a little wild with my kitchen-garden attempts recently, just call me green fingers, and my dill plant has been growing out of control so I decided to use it as a topping on my soup. (Those seeds with the toothpicks sticking out the sides are avocados), there's also mint and basil.


I hope you give this soup a try and love it as much as I do. If you have a nice healthy soup to recommend, please share! It's been rainy for days here in HK and soups are the perfect comfort food (accompanied by a nice slice of roasted garlic bread from Costco... brought in to HK specially, courtesy of my Dad... precious precious bread, it's well spent beside a good soup!)

1 comment:

  1. Blast you and your green thumb!!!!! I keep killing everything! I love my herbs so tenderly and they continue to wither before my eyes--I blame my darling creatures.

    ReplyDelete